Small businesses must have professional websites. But, not all small businesses can hire web designers. This is where finding the best website builder can help.
You don’t need to spend a lot of time learning how to run your site, make changes, and add content. You also don’t need to sacrifice the look, functionality and user experience.
Consumers expect companies to have professional sites. Social media is great, but it shouldn’t be the sole thing you use to maintain an online presence.
Using the best website builder for small businesses can save time, money, and stress. You can get a great, user-friendly website in a fraction of the time and cost a web designer would take.
In this article, we’ll compare the 7 best website builders for small businesses.
How to Choose the Best Website Builder for Your Small Business
Choosing the best website builder for your small business is crucial. But, there are dozens of options available. How do you pick which small business website builder is right for you?
The “best website builder for small business” isn’t universal. Every business has different needs. But, here are a few things all useful website creators have in common.
1. Ease of Use
If you can’t use a website builder for your small business efficiently, what’s the point in having one? Before picking a website creator, compare options to see which provides the ease of use you need.
Ease of use includes:
- How intuitive the site builder is for you
- Integrations with programs like Google Analytics
- A good amount of bandwidth
- SEO tools or optimization abilities
- Quality customer support
- Access to a custom domain name
These factor into ease of use because they take work away from you.
Your chosen site should also be easy for your customers to use. Look through samples of websites created with the builder to make sure they’re going to work for you and your customers.
Many suggestions for small business owners’ online and offline tasks involve high costs. But, not all the best website builders for small businesses break the bank.
Free plans often have limited functionality and are best for simple websites. They may not offer custom domain names, many marketing tools, or much bandwidth.
They may be particularly challenging for eCommerce stores. Those usually need a more in-depth content management system and design than a simpler blog or website.
Our list of best site builders includes free plans and premium plans. They make it easier to work on the backend with drag-and-drop editors. They also have a lower learning curve compared to sites needing HTML or other coding skills.
Ideally, businesses grow. As your small business grows, your own website needs to grow. After a while, a simple website won’t cut it anymore.
You may need more advanced features. These could include:
- Upgrading to a premium plan from a free plan
- New plugins or add-ons
- Unique customization options
- Improved email marketing capabilities
- Shopping cart and checkout function if adding an eCommerce plan
You may want to add pricing plans for subscriptions, which not all platforms can handle.
Consider your business plan and make sure your website builder is what you need now and later.
The Best Small Business Website Builders
We used the factors above and things like customer reviews to choose our top 7 website creators.
1. WordPress.org: Best Website Builder for Small Businesses Overall
WordPress.org, also known as self-hosted WordPress, started as a blogging site. Now, it’s the most powerful content management system. It’s used by popular bloggers, large brands, and small businesses alike.
Even as WordPress.org has grown, they remain dedicated to being open source. Additionally, you can edit your site on the go, as WordPress is available in your phone’s app store.
Note: On the surface, WordPress.com and WordPress.org seem similar. Both offer free plans, personal websites, business websites, and webpage optimization and customization. But, the 2 user-friendly sites are very different!
We discuss WordPress.com later. But, WPBeginner wrote an excellent article comparing these site builders to further clarify.
Creating a Website with WordPress.org
Creating a website in this popular website builder may look daunting. Luckily, there are tons of free resources to guide you step by step. For example, you can see this guide on making a WordPress website by WPBeginner.
- Install the WordPress.org software in your web hosting account.
- Pick a theme for your website design.
- Install WordPress.org plugins to add functions.
- Customize and publish your site.
WordPress.org Website Builder Pros
- WordPress.org gives you control and customization options.
- There are thousands of free and premium WordPress.org themes available.
- You can find tons of WordPress.org plugins to let you add features and functions.
- WordPress.org has excellent search engine optimization.
- WordPress.org is a free website builder at its base.
WordPress.org Website Builder Cons
- You’re responsible for maintaining your own WordPress.org site. You need to keep it secure, updated, and so forth.
- There’s a bit of a learning curve.
WordPress.org Pricing Plans
WordPress.org is a free website builder. But, you should purchase a custom domain name and web hosting plan.
We recommend Bluehost. They offer our users hosting, including a free domain name and SSL certificate, starting at $2.75 per month.
If you decide they’re not the best option for you, several other web hosting options are available.
SeedProd lets you build custom page layouts and themes for WordPress. Whether building a website from scratch or working on individual pages, SeedProd allows you to customize to the max.
Creating a Website with SeedProd
Like most other website builders, SeedProd offers a drag-and-drop builder and live previews. However, you also have over 80 pro blocks, 150 landing page templates, tons of page types, conversion tools, and more.
If you want a site to be yours, SeedProd could be the perfect choice for your small business website builder.
SeedProd Website Builder Pros
- Built-in conversion tools
- Any emails sent are saved to WordPress for use with any service
- Draft mode lets you work on your page without having to publish it until completion
SeedProd Website Builder Cons
- Only compatible with WordPress
- Basic version is fairly limited
SeedProd Pricing Plans
- Basic: $39.50 per year
- Plus: $99.50 per year
- Pro: $199.50 per year
- Elite: $239.60 per year
Web.com boasts of being one of the best website builders for small businesses because that’s their focus. They strive to help every type of business succeed.
Creating a Website with Web.com
Web.com comes with a drag-and-drop website builder and tons of ready-made templates.
Web.com Website Builder Pros
- The drag-and-drop interface and website templates make Web.com user-friendly.
- Web.com offers eCommerce tools so that you can set up an online store.
- They offer 24/7 customer support.
Web.com Website Builder Cons
- There’s less customization than some others.
- The number of products allowed may seem limited.
- There’s no free plan.
Web.com Pricing Plans
- Website Essentials: $4.95 per month; renews at $9.99 per month
- Business Essentials: $7.95 per month; renews at $19.99 per month
- eCommerce Essentials: $13.95 per month; renews at $24.99 per month
- eCommerce Premium: $19.95 per month; renews at $39.99 per month
You can also contact Web.com for a quote if you want them to build the site for you.
HubSpot Website Builder does more than let you build a site. It’s also a content management system and CRM with marketing automation tools. These marketing tools help with search engine optimization and visitor personalization.
Creating a Website with HubSpot Website Builder
HubSpot offers an all-in-one website builder. It comes with conversion-optimized templates to get you started quickly. Or, you can use its drag-and-drop editor to build something custom in no time.
HubSpot Website Builder Pros
- It comes with optimization, blogging, live chat, and email marketing tools.
- You can personalize content for each visitor.
- It factors in things like location, source, and details from your HubSpot CRM.
- HubSpot offers a variety of templates.
- They offer a free version.
Hubspot Website Builder Cons
- It’s best for simple websites and landing pages.
- The marketing automation features might have a bit of a learning curve for beginners.
HubSpot Website Builder Pricing Plans
- Basic CRM Tools: Free
- CMS Plan: Starts at $23 per month
- Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, and Operations Plans: Start at $45 per month
- Bundles: Start at $45 per month
Creating a Website with Gator Website Builder
Gator Website Builder is a great website creator because it’s user-friendly. You can drag and drop elements like text, columns, and contact forms.
Another reason this is on our list of the best website builders is the number of templates offered. There are over 200 templates on Gator Website Builder!
Gator Website Builder Pros
- It’s a user-friendly platform.
- It’s a hosted platform, so you don’t need to worry about security, speed, or updates.
- There are 200+ professional website templates available for use.
Gator Website Builder Cons
- Gator Website Builder doesn’t offer any free plan or free trial. It means you can’t test the website creator before purchasing it.
Gator Website Builder Pricing Plans
- Starter Plan: $3.46 per month (introductory offer)
- Premium Plan: $5.39 per month (introductory offer)
- eCommerce Plan: $8.30 per month (introductory offer)
BigCommerce is one of the most popular eCommerce website builders for small businesses. It provides a robust and scalable platform for online stores.
Creating an Online Store with BigCommerce
BigCommerce features a three-step setup tool. It asks for your email address and details about the shop you want to make. Then, it creates a demo website for you.
After that, you configure the shop settings, eCommerce tools, and your website design. There are plenty of free and premium BigCommerce themes available.
BigCommerce Website Builder Pros
- It has a simple interface but powerful eCommerce features to scale your business.
- BigCommerce doesn’t charge transaction fees.
- It has strong SEO tools.
BigCommerce Website Builder Cons
- BigCommerce upgrades you to a higher paid plan if you exceed a specific sales limit.
- It doesn’t offer subscription options.
- It doesn’t come with email marketing tools.
BigCommerce Pricing Plans
- Standard: $29.95 per month
- Plus: $79.95 per month
- Pro: $299.95 per month
- Enterprise: Contact BigCommerce
WordPress.com is the hosted version of WordPress. It’s a subscription-based website building service run by the co-founder of WordPress.
We linked to this earlier. But, as a reminder, WPBeginner has a comparison of WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
Creating a Website with WordPress.com
WordPress.com provides a setup wizard to guide you through the creation process. You can choose a website type: blog, business, or eCommerce. Then, it offers various functions and tools to complete your ideal site.
If you use a free version, you don’t get a custom domain name. A subdomain like mysite.wordpress.com might be okay if you’re starting out or a blogger with a personal website. But, having a custom domain name is preferable for business sites.
That said, it’s not impossible to transition from a subdomain to a custom domain name as your business grows. Use your email marketing, social media, and other outreach to let customers know.
WordPress.com Website Builder Pros
- It offers the web hosting and growth tools you need.
- WordPress.com takes care of updates, backup, security, and speed.
- It has plenty of themes and templates available for use.
- The free plan offers more functions than some other no-cost options.
WordPress.com Website Builder Cons
- All free plans have ads, but you don’t make money from them.
- No membership websites are possible.
WordPress.com Pricing Plans
- Free: $0
- Personal: $4 per month
- Premium: $8 per month
- Business: $25 per month
- eCommerce: $45 per month
Squarespace is another hosted website platform. It allows you to create a professional website, portfolio, or online store in minutes.
This site builder offers powerful tools for all types of websites. Squarespace has options for photographers, bloggers, restaurants, musicians, and more.
Creating a Website with Squarespace
Squarespace comes with an artificial intelligence-powered website builder. You need to answer a few questions, then it creates a site for you.
But, you can also design your own website starting with a template.
Squarespace Website Builder Pros
- Squarespace comes with a simple drag-and-drop website editor.
- You get to use Unsplash’s image library.
- It offers a 15 day free trial for testing purposes, with no need to enter your credit card information.
Squarespace Website Builder Cons
- They charge transaction fees on the Business plan.
- Squarespace can limit support if you add CSS.
- Control over your site’s appearance and functions can seem limited.
- They only offer paid plans.
Squarespace Pricing Plans
- Personal: $14 per month
- Business: $23 per month
- Basic Commerce: $27 per month
- Advanced Commerce: $49 per month
Small Business Website Builder FAQs
Here are a few answers to FAQs about the best website builders.
What Is a Website Builder?
Website builders for small businesses let you make a site without a developer or coding.
They almost all have drag-and-drop functionality. This lets you click on a text box, image, or anything else you want on your site and move it to the perfect place.
The best website builders let you change fonts, colors, and more in the backend and see edits in real-time. Good site builders should allow even true beginners to use these web design tools.
Search Engine Journal also says 2 of the biggest mistakes businesses make on their sites are:
- Having outdated information
- Being hard to find in search due to poor optimization
Site builders can help you update information and appear in searches quickly
What’s the Difference Between a Site Builder and a Platform?
“Website platform” is an umbrella term for everything a website can do. Website building is often one of the things they can do.
That said, many website platforms are website builders. For instance, WordPress is the most popular website builder and platform. In fact, it runs over 40% of all websites!
You could have reached this webpage by searching “website platforms for small business.” It makes sense because the two terms are often used interchangeably.
What’s the Best Website Builder for Small Businesses?
No one platform is best for everyone. But, we believe WordPress.org is the best overall website builder. It offers limitless web design and growth possibilities with plugins, add-ons, and integrations.
What’s the Best eCommerce Platform with a Website Builder?
If you want to create an eCommerce store, BigCommerce could be the perfect site builder. It provides a simple drag-and-drop interface and powerful marketing tools to grow sales.
What’s the Best Website Builder for Beginners?
All 7 options above should be user-friendly. But, Web.com may provide the greatest ease of use for beginners. Its drag-and-drop editor provides many customization options without being overwhelming in the backend.
What’s the #1 Site Builder?
WordPress is the most popular website builder, with over 40% of the internet running on it. The platform began with bloggers in mind and is still popular with that crowd. But, WordPress is now also a top eCommerce platform and content management system.
Is WordPress a Free Website Builder?
Beyond Best Website Builders
We hope this article helped you find the best website builder for your small business. For more about running a business website, check out these articles and tutorials:
- 5 eCommerce Email Marketing Best Practices to Grow Sales
- How to Get More Traffic on WordPress
- Beginner’s Guide to Custom WordPress Theme Development
- Do You Need Google Analytics on Your Website?
- 9 Best WordPress Tutorials and Blogs for Beginners
What to grow your business even more? Join over 3 million others using MonsterInsights for WordPress analytics!