Are you looking to create a website for your company? Want to know which is the best website platform for small business?
Hiring a developer may be costly, especially if you’re on a budget. But luckily, there’re tons of easy-to-use website builders that allow you to create professional websites without hiring a developer.
In this article, we’ll compare the 7 best website builders for small business companies.
Best Website Builder for Small Business
You can jump ahead to any of the best website platforms for small business you’re interested in reading about.
- WordPress.org – Easy to use, flexible, and affordable website builder
- Web.com – Easiest website builder at the lowest price
- HubSpot Website Builder – Best builder with marketing automation
- Gator Website Builder – Budget-friendly website platform
- BigCommerce – Best eCommerce store builder
- WordPress.com – Fully hosted website builder
- Squarespace – Modern website builder with latest themes
Choosing the Best Website Builder – What to Look For?
Choosing the best website builder for small business is a crucial task because a better platform means more opportunities for growth.
Here’re a few of the most important things to look for in a website builder.
1. Ease of Use
Ease of use is the most important thing to consider while choosing a website platform for your business. With a simple platform, you can quickly build and handle your website. This helps you to save time for more important tasks to grow your business.
The second most crucial factor to consider is the cost of creating a website and maintaining it. If you’re a small company with limited resources, then you need an affordable solution under your budget.
As your website grows, you need more robust features and more resources. So, you need to check the scalability options while choosing a perfect website builder.
With that said, let’s take a look at the best website builder platforms to make your own website easily.
WordPress.org, also known as self-hosted WordPress, is the best website builder for small business that’s available on the market. Used by more than 30% of all websites, it’s the most popular website building software.
Started as a simple blogging platform, WordPress has evolved to become the most powerful CMS (Content Management System) in existence today. It’s used by the world’s most popular blogs, largest brands, and business websites.
Creating a Website with WordPress:
Creating a website in WordPress looks somewhat technical at first; however, it’s not that hard. There’re tons of free resources on the internet that will guide you step by step. For example, you can see this guide on how to make a WordPress website by WPBeginner.
To build a website in WordPress, you need to install the WordPress software in your web hosting account first. If you choose a managed WordPress hosting like Bluehost, it’ll be quick and easy because they have a one-click WordPress installation option.
After that, you can choose a WordPress theme for your website design. Next, you can install WordPress plugins to add functionalities to your website.
Once you’ve all the necessary tools installed, you can customize your website and publish it.
- WordPress is an open-source website builder which gives you maximum control and customization options.
- There’re thousands of free and premium WordPress themes available to let you choose your website design. Similarly, there’re tons of free and paid WordPress plugins to let you add features and functionalities to your site.
- WordPress is SEO-friendly by its design. Plus, there are awesome WordPress SEO plugins like All in One SEO and Yoast SEO available to help you make your site search engine friendly.
- WordPress is highly scalable. You can easily integrate your WordPress site with third-party services like email marketing services, payment services, Google Analytics, etc.
- The responsibility of maintaining a WordPress site is fully yours. You need to keep it secure, maintain updates, etc. by yourself.
- There’s a bit of a learning curve to set up a website. But, there are lots of resources and tutorials for WordPress beginners.
WordPress is open-source free software, but need to purchase a domain name and web hosting plan to start a website. A domain name typically costs $14.99 / year, and a web hosting plan costs around $7.99 / month.
But luckily, Bluehost is offering our users a WordPress hosting plan starting at $2.75 / month and a free domain name and SSL certificate along with that. It means that you can start a WordPress website as low as $33 / year.
Web.com is one of the original and most popular website builders for small business. Since 1999, they’ve helped 3 million customers build a website at a very low price.
Creating a Website with Web.com:
You don’t need any technical knowledge to build a small business website with Web.com. It comes with an intuitive drag and drop builder and tons of ready-made website templates to get you started quickly.
Plus, customizing the templates is as simple as pointing and clicking. You can also add extra features such as contact forms, photo galleries, videos, map locations, social media buttons, and much more.
- The drag and drop website builder and website templates make it easy for beginners to create a simple website.
- Web.com offers eCommerce tools so that you can set up an online store to sell products.
- All Web.com plans come with a free domain name, business email address, SEO tools, website analytics, and more.
- It has limited blogging functionality compared to other platforms like WordPress.org.
- The eCommerce plan only allows you to add 50 products. So, if you want to build a more robust online store, you might want to choose another eCommerce website builder.
Web.com’s Starter website plan starts at only $1.95 / month.
To get more powerful SEO features, you can upgrade to the Marketing plan starting at $2.95 / month. And the eCommerce plan starts at $3.95 / month.
HubSpot Website Builder is a powerful content management system combined with HubSpot’s CRM and marketing automation tools. With these tools, you can create a website that’s optimized for every device and personalized for each visitor.
Creating a Website with HubSpot Website Builder:
HubSpot offers an all-in-one website builder that you can use to create a website in minutes. It comes with conversion-optimized website templates to get you started quickly. Or, you can use the easy drag and drop editor to build something custom in no time.
And a unique feature that HubSpot offers is its adaptive testing. This lets you choose up to 5 variations of a web page, and HubSpot will monitor and serve the best-performing version.
- The drag and drop editor and website themes make it easy to create a simple website, without hiring a developer.
- Comes with features like SEO tools, email marketing, live chat software, blogging tools, and more.
- You can personalize website content based on location, device, source, language, or any detail stored in your HubSpot CRM.
- It’s best suited for simple small business websites and landing pages rather than online stores and advanced websites.
- The marketing automation features might be intimidating for beginners.
HubSpot website builder starts at $25 / month and comes with email marketing, live chat software, detailed analytics, blogging tools, and more.
As the name suggests, Gator Website Builder is a product of the popular domain and hosting company HostGator. Similar to Constant Contact Website Builder, Gator also allows you to create dynamic websites easily and quickly.
Creating a Website with Gator Website Builder:
Building a website with Gator Website Builder is a super easy task. Even a simple user without any technical skills can make a website using this platform.
What makes it the best website platform for small business is that all you need to do is buy a Gator plan, choose a website template, and customize it.
It offers a simple drag and drop website builder interface, so you can quickly design a site. It allows you to easily edit and organize elements like text, columns, contact forms, and more.
- It’s a beginner-friendly website making platform. You can make a full-fledged business website, blog, or online store without any coding required.
- It’s a fully hosted platform, so you don’t need to worry about your website security, speed, updates, etc.
- There’re 200+ professional website templates available for use.
- Gator Website Builder doesn’t offer any free plan or free trial. It means that you cannot test the builder before purchasing it.
You can buy Gator Website Builder plans starting from $ 3.48 / month. The Premium Plan that offers priority support is available for $5.39 / month, and the eCommerce Plan for online store costs 8.30 / month.
BigCommerce is one of the most popular eCommerce website platforms for small business in the market. It provides a powerful and highly scalable eCommerce platform for building an online store.
Creating an Online Store with BigCommerce:
BigCommerce allows you to build a website in just a few steps. It features a three-step setup tool which asks you to enter your email address, and other details of the shop you want to make. Once you enter the details, it instantly creates a demo website for you.
After that, you can configure the shop settings, and customize its design. There’re plenty of free and premium BigCommerce themes available, so you can pick one and start designing your store.
- BigCommerce is a perfect platform for users who want to build an eCommerce store with ease. It has a simple interface along with powerful eCommerce features to scale your business.
- BigCommerce lets you test its eCommerce site builder free for 15 days. You can sign up for the free trial without entering your credit card details.
- BigCommerce is a premium website maker service. There’s no free service available; however, you can try its interface free with the trial version.
BigCommerce Plans are available for as low as $29.95 / month. If you want to use more powerful marketing tools, then you need to buy the Plus plan that costs $79.95 / month.
WordPress.com is the fully hosted version of WordPress. It’s a subscription-based website building service run by the co-founder of the WordPress software.
Unlike WordPress.org, WordPress.com is a fully managed website platform that provides you the whole package of hosting and other software.
Creating a Website with WordPress.com:
Like all the other website builders, WordPress.com also lets you make a website in some easy steps. To get started, you just need to enter your email address, provide some details about the site you want to build.
It offers a step by step setup wizard to guide you through the whole process. During the process, you can choose your website type; a blog or business site, or an eCommerce store. After that, it provides you with suitable subdomain, themes, and other tools.
- It’s is easy and quick to make a website with WordPress.com. You don’t need to look for a web hosting service and other growth tools because it offers them all.
- WordPress.com also takes care of updates, backup, security, and speed of your site so that you can have peace of mind.
- It has plenty of themes and templates available for use. You can choose a theme of your choice and make a design like you want.
- WordPress.com doesn’t allow you to install custom plugins. With a paid plan, you can install additional plugins, however, it has strict rules for third-party services.
WordPress.com has a free version you can use to create a website or blog; however, it has limited features. If you want to use a custom domain name, then you need to purchase their paid plans.
The Blogger plan lets you use a .blog domain for $3 / month. You need to buy their Personal plan for $5 / month to use a custom domain.
Similar to WordPress.com, Squarespace is also a fully hosted website platform and one of the best website builder for small business. It allows you to create a professional website, portfolio, or an online store within minutes.
Squarespace offers powerful website-building tools for all types of websites. You can use it to create sites for small businesses, entrepreneurs, photographers, restaurants, musicians, and more.
Creating a Website with Squarespace:
Similar to Constant Contact Website Builder, Squarespace also comes with artificial intelligence (A.I.) powered website builder for you. You need to answer a few questions, and then it’ll create a site for you.
Alternately, it also allows you to design your website by choosing a template.
- Squarespace comes with a simple drag and drop website editor. You just need to click on any element to start editing that element.
- It offers a 15 day free trial for testing purpose. You can use the Squarespace platform free for 15 days without providing your credit card details.
- It has limited integrations with third-party services and payment providers.
Squarespace pricing plans start from $12 / month. Their most popular Business plan costs $18 / month.
Which Small Business Website Builder Should You Use?
After reviewing the best website builders for small business, we’ve come to the conclusion that WordPress.org is the best overall website builder. It offers limitless design options and growth possibilities with plugins and integrations.
If you want to create an eCommerce store, then BigCommerce is the perfect choice for you. It provides you with a simple interface as well as powerful tools to grow your online sales.
We hope this article helped you to find the best website builder for small business. You may also want to see our guide on the best eCommerce email marketing practices to grow sales.