Are you looking for a way to accept file uploads on your WordPress website? Unfortunately, there is no direct way of uploading files on WordPress.
But with the right plugin, you can create forms to easily receive file attachments from your users. And you can accept more file types that are outside WordPress limits on your site.
In this article, we’ll show you the best WordPress file upload plugins, so you can get documents, PDFs, spreadsheets, and all sorts of content from your visitors.
Why Should You Use a WordPress File Upload Plugin?
You might be wondering, why do you need to accept files from your users? If yes, then there are a lot of use cases where file upload is useful.
To start, you can get more information from your visitors and better understand their behavior. You can even improve your site’s user experience by facilitating your audience’s needs.
Here are some situations where you can use a WordPress file upload plugin to accept documents:
- Improve Customer Support – You can get more information about your user’s problems and quickly fix them by accepting screenshots of the issue
- Accept Guest Posts – Through a file upload plugin, you can get your users to submit guest posts to your website
- Collect User-Generated Content – You can allow your visitors to submit videos, audio, images, or any other content through a file upload option
- Get Resumes and Cover Letters – If you have a job board on your website, you can allow users to upload their resumes and cover letters through the plugin
- Receive Quotes from Clients – File upload plugins make it easier to receive quotations from different clients in the form of spreadsheets, PDFs, and other document formats
- Allow Picture Upload for Giveaways – You can allow users to easily upload pictures for contests and giveaways through a file upload plugin
As you can see, file upload plugins make it super simple to accept files on your WordPress site.
But which plugin should choose? Here’s a look at the best WordPress file upload plugins, including free and premium options.
File Upload Type by WPForms is a free WordPress upload plugin that lets you accept additional file types on your website with just a click of a button.
By default, users can upload certain file types on WordPress. And if someone uploads a file type outside the allowed extensions, WordPress will show a warning message saying: Sorry, this file type is not permitted for security reasons.
To overcome this issue, you can File Upload Types plugin and get people to submit different file formats. It also expands your use of WPForms, as you can allow any file extensions on your file upload forms.
Here are some key features of File Upload Type by WPForms:
- Accept files types that WordPress doesn’t support natively
- Supports extensions like .zip, .xml, .csv, .ai, .cad, and more
- Compatible with WPForms
- Easy to use plugin
- Manage an internal file extension whitelist
Pricing: File Upload Type by WPForms is free to use.
WPForms is the best WordPress forms plugin you can use today. Using the plugin, you can create file upload forms to accept media from your visitors. And in each form, you can adjust which file types users can submit.
WPForms offers a simple drag and drop builder which makes it very easy to build and customize forms of your choice.
It even offers pre-built templates, so you can start adding forms to your website in no time. And it’s compatible with other plugins, so you can easily track your form submissions in WordPress.
That said, WPForms offers lots of other features which makes it one of the best WordPress file upload plugins:
- Mobile responsive form templates
- Easy drag and drop builder
- Accept file uploads with AJAX forms without refresh
- Choose from different form templates
- Accepts payments through your forms
- Spam protection
- Create WordPress surveys
- Easily embed forms anywhere on WordPress site
- Enable smart conditional logic
- Easy integration with marketing platforms
Pricing: WPForms prices start from $39.50 per year.
WP User Frontend is another popular WordPress file upload plugin. Its actual use is for building frontend of a website, but you use it to get file uploads from your users.
And the best part about the plugin is that you can allow people to upload files from your site’s frontend. So, you don’t have to give backend access to your website and enhance your WordPress site’s security.
The plugin is great for accepting images and content from visitors. So, if you want to provide better customer support then this plugin can help you out. Similarly, WP User Frontend can help you accept sponsored posts or guest posts on your website.
Here are some additional features you can check out:
- Allow file and attachment uploads
- Drag and drop form builder
- Accept featured images from users
- Allow users to update posts from frontend
- Easy to use frontend editor
Pricing: WP User Frontend offers a free version but for more features, you can select its Pro version, which starts from $49 per year.
WordPress File Upload is a simple plugin that you can use to allow file uploads on your website. The plugin offers a shortcode that you can use to enable file upload on multiple pages, posts, or accept files from your site’s sidebar.
Users can submit images, posts, videos, audios, and types of files on your website through the plugin. WordPress File Upload also lets you view all the downloaded files in your dashboard. You can even manage and organize all the uploads.
That said, there are more features offered by the plugin such as:
- Simple integration using shortcode
- Get email notifications for file uploads
- Manage and organize files from your dashboard
- Assign a storage location for uploaded files
- Offers filters and actions for before and after file upload
- Supports multiple languages
Pricing: WordPress File Upload is available for free. It also offers a premium version that costs around $20 per year.
WP Extra File Types is another highly rated WordPress file upload plugin. It’s straightforward and very easy to use.
If you want to add more file extensions to the default list of file types allowed by WordPress, then you can use this plugin.
However, it works by allowing you to upload files through the media library. That means, if you want users to upload files to your site, you’d have to give them backend access.
With that, here are a few features of WP Extra File Types:
- Compatible with other form plugins like WPForms
- Open-source plugin
- Enable additional file types for uploading
- Add a custom file type for your forms
Pricing: WP Extra File Types is a free WordPress plugin.
Frontend Uploader is a user-friendly WordPress file upload plugin. Using the plugin, you can allow your visitors to submit files from the frontend.
It uses different shortcodes through which you can create customizable submissions forms and place them anywhere on your WordPress website.
Since Frontend Uploader allows people to upload content, it’s perfect for accepting guest posts or sponsored posts on your website and make more money.
You can take a closer look at some of its features:
- Allows uploads for multiple file types
- Easily create and customize file upload forms
- Add file upload forms anywhere on your site using shortcodes
- Accept files from the frontend (no need to give backend access)
Pricing: Frontend Uploader WordPress plugin is free to use.
To sum everything up, if you’re looking for a free WordPress file upload plugin that lets you add additional file extensions to your site and is easily integrable with submission forms, then we suggest using File Upload Type by WPForms.
And if you’re looking for a solution to create file upload forms and combine it with extra file formats, then you can go with WPForms.
It’s the leading forms plugin for WordPress and offers multiple form templates to use. Thanks to its drag and drop builder, you can customize your forms in a matter of minutes and integrate it with other marketing services as well.
And that’s it!
We hope you liked our article on the best WordPress file upload plugins. If you enjoyed this post, you can also go through our guide on how to properly setup Google Analytics in WordPress.