Need to add a website to Google Analytics? To do that, you must create a new Google Analytics property. If you have multiple websites or apps, then you can add them each as a property within the same Google Analytics account.
Google Analytics allows you to have up to 50 properties in a single account. In this article, we’ll walk you through how to add a website property in Google Analytics 4.
Understanding Account and Property in Google Analytics
Your Google Analytics profile consists of 2 different components. They are account and property.
Here’s a closer look at each of them:
- Account: The account is the highest level. You need a Google Analytics account first and foremost to set up a website or app.
- Property: A property can be a website or a mobile app. Your account can consist of up to 2,000 properties. So if you’re a business with a website and an app, you’d have a property for each of those within your business’s account.
Now let’s take a look at how to add a website and property to Google Analytics.
Add a Website/Property to Google Analytics in 4 Steps
Just follow these steps and you can add your website to Google Analytics in no time:
- Sign in and Choose an Account
- Set New Property Settings
- Enter Property Details
- Install Your Tracking Code
Step 1: Sign in and Choose an Account
First, log in to your Google Analytics account and select the website in which you’d like to add a new property.
Now click on Admin in the left taskbar.
Step 2: Set New Property Settings
In the Property column, click Create Property.
Now, you’ll have to enter the property details of your website. Start by entering a name, selecting a reporting time zone, and choosing your currency.
Step 3: Enter Property Details
Choose your industry category and your business size, then click Next.
Finally, choose your business objectives. We suggest choosing Get baseline reports so that you get all of the Google Analytics reports populated in your account.
Step 4: Install Your Tracking Code
If you’re using a website platform other than WordPress, please refer to instructions for installing Google Analytics.
To install Google Analytics tracking on your WordPress website, your best option is to use MonsterInsights.
MonsterInsights the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress, as you don’t have to do coding to enter the tracking code or have to hire a developer to do the job.
You can start by downloading and installing the plugin for free. Just go to your WordPress admin area and navigate to Plugins » Add New. Next, search MonsterInsights in the search bar and click Install Now.
Once the plugin installs, click Activate.
Upon activating the plugin, you will be taken to MonsterInsights welcome screen. Click on Launch the Wizard! button.
Now select the category that describes your website and then click Save and Continue.
Next, you’ll have to connect MonsterInsights to your website. To do that, click Connect MonsterInsights button.
After that, choose your Google account. Make sure you select the account you used to create a new property in the first step.
Next, click Allow to give MonsterInsights access to your Google Account.
Now select your newly created property and click the Complete Connection button.
MonsterInsights will show you some recommended settings. For instance, you can select the file download tracking extensions, set up affiliate link tracking, and choose which user roles can see the reports.
As you scroll down, you’ll see more settings.
- Affiliate Link Tracking – It has 2 affiliate link paths added by default, and lets you add more affiliate link paths.
- Access to MonsterInsights Reports – You can choose who can see the MonsterInsights reports.
- Automatic Plugin Updates – You can enable or disable the option to install updates automatically.
- Show MonsterInsights Badge – Choose whether or not you want to show a MonsterInsights badge in your website’s footer. You’ll be able to access a few options for how this looks later.
Review and configure these recommended settings, and then click the ‘Save and Continue’ button at the end.
On the next screen, you’ll see options for even more tracking options, addons, and helpful plugins.
The first ones are:
- Standard Analytics & Reports – The standard MonsterInsights reports you’ll get in your WordPress dashboard.
- Enhanced Link Attribution – Can help you see where users are clicking on your site.
- Collect User Feedback – Ask visitors questions about how they use your website or what features can make you more money with the UserFeedback plugin.
- All in One SEO Toolkit – The best WordPress SEO plugin that integrates with MonsterInsights
When you scroll down, you’ll find even more options:
- Conversion Tools – Get the #1 conversion optimization plugin to convert your growing website traffic into subscribers, leads and sales: OptinMonster.
- Smart Form Builder by WPForms – The most popular WordPress form builder plugin
- Privacy Compliance Addon – Helps Google Analytics become compliant for GDPR, CCPA, and more
- Advanced Reports – Get access to advanced reports inside MonsterInsights, such as search keywords, a real-time report, publishers and eCommerce reports, and more
- eCommerce Tracking – Instantly enable eCommerce tracking
- 20+ Advanced Tracking – Even more advanced tracking, such as author tracking, form conversion tracking, scroll tracking, and more
- Advanced Growth Tools – Get access to our campaign URL builder, popular posts addon, and A/B testing integration.
- Media Tracking – Track how your users interact with videos on your website with the MonsterInsights Media addon.
After that, you’ll see a new screen with this message ‘Awesome, You’re All Set!’. It means the setup process is complete, and you’ve successfully installed Google Analytics in your WordPress site.
This screen also notifies you about when you can start seeing your website reports. Depending on the size of your website, it can take between a few hours to 24 hours.
Don’t forget to click on the ‘Finish Setup & Exit Wizard’ button.
That’s it! You’re all set.
It can take a few hours for Google Analytics to start collecting data and show it in the reports.
Besides setting up Google Analytics, MonsterInsights Pro offers lots of other benefits. It automatically sets up advanced tracking right out of the box. For example, it will set up affiliate link tracking, outbound link tracking, file download tracking, and much more.
We hope this tutorial helped you to add a website to Google Analytics. You can also check our guide on how to add Google Analytics to WordPress without a plugin.